Welcome to Stewartstown Harps G.F.C official website. We were the 1st Tyrone club to have a website when the site was launched online in December 1997, and we hope that you enjoy your visit to our site. Stewartstown Harps Gaelic Football Club was founded in 1912 and played in the East Tyrone league until 1918. The Harps reformed in 1923 to play in the Stewartstown District (East Tyrone) league and we then won the first of our two Tyrone Senior championships a year later. On our way to championship victory in 1924 the club defeated Beragh Red Knights in the semi-finals and then Omagh Coleman's in the final by 0-18 to 0-4. The Harps were also East Tyrone Senior League Winners as well that year.
Unfortunately the Harps went out of existence at the end of the decade and it wasn't until 1956 that the club was reformed again. This reformation in the 1950's was down to the hard working Samuel Park and the club based its facilities in the townland of Mullaghmoyle. Since this reformation the Harps have been playing continuously ever since in the Tyrone leagues with a reasonable amount of success, most notably winning the O'Neill Cup in 1962. In the 1962 Tyrone Senior championship the Harps defeated teams such as Coalisland, Pomeroy and Urney on the path to the final. In the final the Harps met local rivals Derrylaughan Kevin Barry's and emerged victors on a 3-3 to 0-3 scoreline. There were jubilant scenes when team captain Paddy McNally received the O'Neill Cup.
The Sixties and Seventies was undoubtedly the most celebrated era in the history of the club. Along with the Senior Championship in 1962, an Intermediate League was won in 1964 as well as Senior league titles in 1971, 1973 and 1975. The Harps also reached the Senior championship final in 1972 but a Frank McGuigan inspired Ardboe proved too strong. Apart from an Intermediate Championship triumph against Augher in 1980 the Eighties and Nineties were not as successful. Relegation to Junior football for the first time since the club was reformed occurred in 1988. However the Harps fought back and won promotion immediately the following year in 1989 by winning Division 3.
In 1990 the Harps reached the Intermediate Championship final but a severely weakened team proved no match for an Ardboe side who were Senior champions 3 years previously. Despite a good league showing that year as well, the Harps spent the next six years languishing in the lower regions of Intermediate football before being relegated to Junior football again in 1997. The Harps second spell in Junior Football only lasted two seasons as Intermediate status was regained for the year 2000 as a result of league restructuring. Three seasons of Intermediate football followed for the Harps before relegation back to Junior football again in 2002. Even though the Senior team was struggling there was still hope for the Harps as a strong youth policy was beginning to come to fruition. The U-16's won the league and championship double in 2001 while Minor leagues were won in 2002 and 2003. The majority of these players are now part of the Harps senior squad and they have now transferred this youth success onto the senior stage by winning Tyrone and Ulster Junior championships in 2004 and in 2005 reaching an All-Ireland Junior Club Football Final. 2005 was also a big year off the field for the Harps as a new pavilion was built at Mullaghmoyle to replace the existing pavilion which had been built in 1974.
2006 was the year when the Harps finally gained promotion back to Senior Championship Football after a period of 26 years, and it was fitting that the Harps were back in senior ranks in 2007, half a century after the present Harps club was reformed. In 2011, the 2nd phase of the Harps redevelopment plan was completed when a second floodlit pitch was officially opened by the GAA President Christy Cooney.